The Youth Center on Highland provides services to homeless lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or questioning transitional aged youth 14-24 years old through programs and services such as; showers, housing, education, employment, development, health and various others.
This position supports the Education Program in providing education services to homeless and at-risk youth to assist them in developing educational plans and attaining and maintaining enrollment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) One to one work with GED tutoring
2) Facilitate education weekly groups to members;
3) Help coordinate education workshops and events/activities.
4) Assistance with administrative tasks
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
1) Professional educational experience (teaching, tutoring, etc.) preferably with high-risk populations
2) Responsible, patient, respectful, flexible and dependable;
3) Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientation and genders in a multicultural setting;
4) Bilingual in English and Spanish highly desired
5) Knowledgeable and sensitive to the issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth, particularly those who are homeless, at-risk and may have substance abuse and mental health issues;
6) Ability to engage youth and facilitate workshops
7) Excellent computer skills including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems
8) A strong passion in learning to effectively develop youth who are homeless, at-risk and may have substance abuse and mental health issues;
9) Stable and dependable transportation to Hollywood.
1) Must attend a full day training to be scheduled upon start date.
EDUCATION, AND/OR LICENSURE:
Experience as a tutor/teacher to at-risk populations
Must be 26 years of age or older
E-mail cover letter and resume as an attachment to email@example.com