Work behind-the-scenes, on-camera, or in-person, to provide timely and accurate information about local disaster response activity through traditional media channels on behalf of the American Red Cross for the Eastern New York region.
- Covering on-call shifts as both the primary Public Affairs point of contact (internal) for incoming information about current disaster response activity and the primary point of contact (external) for related media inquiries.
- Writing and distributing media advisories and press releases detailing local disaster response activity.
- Serving as a Red Cross media spokesperson for local news outlets. May involve in-person, over the phone, and Skype interviews.
- Showcasing Red Cross services and programs through earned media outreach, when needed.
- Protecting the reputation of the Red Cross by identifying and assessing potential for harm to Red Cross brand, misinformation or information gaps. Work with communications management to develop a strategic approach for responding.
- Professional media/public relations education and/or experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Careful attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Samples of news releases, on-camera interviews or equivalent work.
- Ability to accurately represent Red Cross activity, branding & messaging (training provided).
The Red Cross will provide the following training:
- Orientation to the American Red Cross.
- Disaster Public Affairs Team - Introductory Overview.
- Public Affairs Essentials (Online).
- Introduction to Red Cross Communications.
- Fundamentals of Disaster Public Affairs, National Response (Webinar) (Recommended).
- Social Media Basics (Recommended).
- Obtaining Red Cross training and hands-on experience with a professional non-profit organization and staff.
- Building your professional network.
- Becoming a trusted spokesperson for the Red Cross in your community.
- Opportunity to deploy in Public Affairs role on large-scale disasters.
If this sounds like the right fit for you please go to www.redcross.org/volunteer and start the application process today!