The Media Relations Team Lead manages the team of public affairs volunteers who work behind-the-scenes, on-camera, and in-person to develop and deliver Red Cross stories about disaster response and all other Red Cross activity through traditional media channels across the Eastern New York region.
- Providing training to Media Relations and Disaster Public Affairs volunteers to ensure they are familiar with Red Cross messaging as well as current communications tools and systems.
- Managing Disaster Public Affairs team volunteers to ensure full and appropriate coverage of on-call shifts.
- Managing Media Relations team volunteers to ensure timely and accurate development/distribution of stories.
- Coordinating team meetings with volunteers on a regular basis to provide updates and helpful information.
- Working with regional leadership and Media Relations team members to pitch local stories to local media.
- Create and maintain media lists.
- Maintain logs of media inquiries, interviews and news stories.
- Showcasing Red Cross services and programs through earned media outreach.
- Protecting the reputation of the Red Cross by identifying and assessing potential for harm to Red Cross brand, misinformation or information gaps. Work with communications management to develop a strategic approach for responding
- Professional media/public relations education and/or experience.
- Ability to provide leadership, training and direction to other volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to accurately represent Red Cross activity, branding & messaging (training provided).
- Experience as a Red Cross Media Relations or Disaster Public Affairs Team volunteer (preferred).
The Red Cross will provide the following training:
- Orientation to the American Red Cross.
- Public Affairs Essentials (Online).
- Introduction to Red Cross Communications.
- Fundamentals of Disaster Public Affairs, National Response (Webinar) (Recommended).
- Social Media Basics (Recommended).
- Red Cross training and hands-on experience with a professional non-profit organization and staff
- Building your professional network
- Enhancing leadership, counseling and communication skills
- The opportunity to deploy in Public Affairs role on large-scale disasters
If this sounds like the right fit for you please go to www.redcross.org/volunteer and start the application process today!