The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation's largest volunteer-led grassroots organizations helping individuals affected by mental illness. 1 in 5 people are affected by mental illness. With deaths by suicide by celebrities like Kate Spade, Anthony Bourdain and those many unnamed sufferers who aren't celebrities, the demand and need for our services is at an all time high. We are trying to raise $200,000 by the end of the year in San Fernando Valley, CA to:
- Offer 10 more education classes per year for family members and for people with mental illness (peers)
- Offer at least 2 more teacher trainings for the family and peer classes per year
- Offer teacher training and classes for parents and caregivers of children under age 13 affected by mental illness
- To give personal story and education presentations at middle and high schools so students can talk about depression and hopefully avoid suicide
- Increase our outreach efforts to the African American, Hispanic, Persian, Chinese, LGBTQA+, and visually impaired communities who are underrepresented in treatment and success stories
- Give "sensitivity training" to professionals who serve people with mental illness, who may lose sight that they are treating people and not only symptoms and numbers
- Advocate for law enforcement officers being trained on how to safely respond to someone in a mental health crisis to reduce loss of life
- Hire professional fundraising, volunteer management, and office staff
You can help by joining or creating a NAMIWalks Team. Post your fundraising page to social media. We'll show you how. NAMIWalks is the largest and most successful mental health awareness and fundraising event in the country. Be a part of it. Many people have a story to tell. You may be one of them. You have the power to help change or even save a life. Click the "I want to help" button.
IMPORTANT: We also need fundraisers to be a part of our phone bank campaign to encourage our membership to become Team Captains and raise money. We provide the script, you provide the effort. This is not a high-pressure sales job. Our script is conversational and you'll be trained step-by-step on what to do before you make a call including hearing a call for yourself.
At NAMI San Fernando Valley, we are proud to offer free support groups, educational programs, and outreach presentations to individuals and families affected by mental illness. We tirelessly fight the stigma of mental illness through our advocacy and outreach efforts to spread awareness in our communities. We want to make the world a better place for those with mental illnesses. Click "I want to help!" if you are interested in this incredibly rewarding volunteer opportunity. *Be sure to include your phone number and we will be in contact within 48 hours*
Check us out here:
The programs and initiatives of National Alliance on Mental Illness - San Fernando Valley are staffed by talented volunteers who have the passion, drive and expertise necessary to fulfill our mission. NAMI SFV welcomes and appreciates individual differences and invites diversity in its broadest definition. We are devoted to promoting an inclusive organizational environment of transparency, authenticity, creativity, and kindness.